Monday, April 28, 2008

Motherhood is Amazing!!

This week has been a total blur yet the most amazing week ever. Laney is growing and changing so much each and every day. We are managing to get just enough sleep to function throughout the day. Breastfeeding is going really well thanks to the medela nipple shield and I am starting to figure out this mother thing.

One problem that I am having is I am having trouble putting her down. From the first night we brought her home she has slept in the bed with us. I was so afraid that she was going to stop breathing and I wanted to be there to save her!!! I have heard that all mothers go through that same thing. Well since that night every time I try to put her in her bassinet she starts screaming and of course I am not going to just let her cry so what do I do, I pick her up and rescue her!!! Rocky has told me that he is not going to have a 2 year old sleeping in the same bed with us. If all you moms out there could give me some advice on breaking her of this habit without mom and baby both screaming their head off that would be great!!! I always told myself that my children would never sleep in the same bed as us and I have found I am eating my words.

Yesterday we took Laney to church for the first time. Momma K had to go get her a preemie outfit because all of her newborn clothes were too big! She did amazingly well and slept through the whole service . I have posted a picture of the family before church and one of daddy and baby girl! Enjoy!!


2 comments:

Michelle said...

Ok, it's a tricky one. First, the book Babywise SAVED our lives! Run out and get a copy, it's an easy read and both you and Rocky need to read it. It sets groundwork to help in sleeping through the night, which can start as early as 10 weeks...and Clara did!! Amazing! It sets up a schedule that goes feeding, playtime, sleeptime, and you can eventually drop off the nighttime feedings.

BUT for now! Clara was in bed with us at first also, just because it was so darn easy with nursing a few times at night. We had a bassinett beside our bed, which she didn't really like, so you just have to know your baby and scrap that plan. Maybe try her crib.

Put her in her bed when she's clean, full, and burped so you know there's nothing wrong. At first you just have to let her try crying, but set a time limit. 10 minutes only the first time! It'll seem like forever, so go sit on the front porch with a drink and call your Momma (what Jacki always tells me and I do still sometimes!)

Try that every night for a few and she will eventually warm up. The crying is easier if you know there's nothing wrong with her, ya know? Before 10 weeks, Clara would start out in her bed and sleep there till her first feeding, then usually stay in bed with us until the second.

Good luck! Post on progress!

Michelle said...

Oh, one more thing. Put Laney in bed AWAKE, but sorta sleepy. Don't rock her competely to sleep, but don't put her in there wide awake. Kinda important. Read the book! It worked for us. Wow! Sorry so long!