Monday, June 2, 2008

My hero the vacuum.

Laney has been sleeping so well at night but I guess she just does not sleep that hard during the day for naps because just as soon as I put her down for her nap she is awake within 20 minutes. She sleeps really well on my shoulder or in my lap but just like before when we were having a hard time putting her to sleep at night she cries very shortly within being put down. I am getting nothing done this way and would love to hold her all day long but it takes a toll on you after a while!
She is not to the point yet where she can put herself back to sleep either.

One day when she was in her swing I was trying the crying it out method that so many people tell me to do. After about five minutes of listening to her cry, I could not stand it anymore but I knew that is the only way she would learn to put herself to sleep so I started thinking of every way that I could tune her out because I was so close to just picking her up, I hate to hear my baby girl cry. I knew that I had to get some vacuuming done so I thought what a great way to get some house work done and tune her out at the same time. I went and got the vacuum and started vacuuming in the same room she was in. Not a minute and a half went by and I looked at her and she was passed out. I thought it could have been just a coincidence. The next day when we were going through the same thing I went to get the vacuum to see if that was really it, and sure enough Rocky timed it and it was 2 minutes!!!! Simply amazing!!!! I have now started to put her in her crib to sleep for naps and today I tried the vacuum trick in there. I have posted a picture of the vacuum and Laney sound asleep. Yes, the vacuum is running not 5 feet from her! I wish I could sleep like that!

2 comments:

karicj said...

ok, now that's hilarious. just think of the money you could make if you could invent a machine that would simulate the sound of the vacuum. then you could save on the wear and tear of it. give laney lots of hugs and kisses from her mama k and tell her she's a good girl!

Michelle said...

so glad you found something that works for miss laney! way to go, momma!

how is the lansanoh working out? hope everything is feeling better, i know how much that can hurt!

i hate giving unasked/unwanted advice only because sometimes i hate getting it. i'm sensitive about that, ya know? anyway, just be careful about putting laney down for a nap with her paci clip on, as it could get wrapped around her neck in bed. clara always has her on except naptime. have a good day!